The Street department's mission is to maintain and provide a safe transportation infrastructure.
The Streets Division maintains town-owned paved streets and dirt roads in the town.
State system roads and private streets, such as those in gated communities, are not maintained by the town.
Other services conducted by the Streets Department include:
- Installing and maintaining storm drainage systems serving town streets, repair potholes and utility cuts.
- Installing and maintaining sidewalks along town and state system streets.
- Street sweeping on town and state system streets according to a schedule that varies with need and location; typically, only streets with curb and gutters are swept.
- Maintaining street name signs on all public streets within town limits, traffic signs and markings along town maintained streets.
- Overseeing the provision of streetlights along town streets which are installed and maintained by Duke Energy Progress.