Receive free tax assistance from AARP trained volunteers at the Southern Pines Public Library! People interested in this service will need to schedule an appointment with AARP to receive assistance. All appointments must be scheduled ahead of time as no tax preparation is done onsite. There are NO SAME DAY OR WALK-IN APPOINTMENTS this year due to COVID-19. A facemask is required at all time when inside the library building. Scheduling begins February 8, and appointments do not begin until February 22.
To schedule an appointment, call 910-684-3157. Follow the instructions on the voicemail at this number. You will need to provide a home or cell phone number where you can be reached. A tax preparer will call you back to schedule two appointments - one to drop off your tax documents, and a second one to review and sign your tax forms. You will be given a contact number to call on your arrival for your appointment. Wait in your car until the tax preparers advises you they are ready to receive your documents.
On the day of your appointment, bring the following:
- Records of federal / state income taxes paid
- Photo ID
- SSN card
- Copy of last year's return
- Amount of stimulus payments received in 2020/2021
- All tax documents: W2, SSA 1099, 1099R, 1099-NEC, other 1099 forms, or self employment records (income/expenses, brokerage statements, healthcare-1095A for marketplace insurance)
- Educational expenses
- Record of charitable contributions
- Items for itemizing dedications if appropriate
- Bank information for direct deposit
Federal tax forms are available for download at the IRS website, while State Forms may be ordered by mail at no cost by calling 1-877-252-3052, or be downloaded and printed from the NC Department of Revenue’s website. You may access and print these forms inside the library. Printing is 15 cents per page. Library staff can assist you in locating and printing these forms.