In hot weather, algae blooms can develop in bodies of water at any time. Mats of cyanobacteria (commonly called blue-green algae) were recently found in Reservoir Park Lake. Cyanobacteria are known to be capable of producing toxins that can be dangerous to children and pets who may ingest them.
Since swimming and wading are not permitted in Reservoir Park, the greatest threat from these algal mats is to dogs who may lap water from the lake or lick algae from their fur.
The NC DHHS suggests visitors be on the look out for and avoid contact with algal mats. Normal recreational activities, including fishing and boating are allowed; however, people who come into contact with algal mats should wash contact areas as soon as possible.