The Town of Southern Pines is preparing for the winter storm expected this evening, as today’s rain is anticipated to change to snow with the possibility of sleet and black ice. Conditions are expected to be dangerous tonight and we urge the community to get home early tonight in the event that snow, sleet, and ice occurs earlier than forecasted. With this in mind, the Town announces the following cancellations and delays related to services, programs, and meetings over the next 24 hours:
THURSDAY, JANUARY 20
- After-school programs through the recreation department will be held as normal, ending at 5:30 pm.
- Recreation evening activities, including basketball practices and games, are canceled for Thursday. Decisions for this weekend’s activities will be announced at a future time.
- Reservoir Park will be closed and barricaded at 7pm due to the likely dangerous road conditions on NC 22/Central Dr.
- The Planning Board meeting scheduled for 6pm at the Douglass Community Center will be held as scheduled.
- The Southern Pines Library will remain open until 6pm and the Read Between the Pines book club will meet as scheduled at 5pm.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 21
- Moore County Schools has announced that school is canceled for Friday, January 21; there will be no after-school program on Friday.
- The following Town facilities will delay opening until at least noon on Friday, January 21:
- Southern Pines Library
- Douglass Community Center/Senior Center
- Campbell House Recreation Center.
- Town staff will monitor conditions and announce any additional delays or closures, as appropriate, for Friday and the weekend.
We urge the community to take steps this afternoon to prepare for the storm, including the possibility of power outages, and to stay off the roads this evening. Suggested preparation for tonight’s storm includes:
- Sign up to receive emergency notifications and alerts from the Town’s CodeRED system. Residents opt in to notices, which can be delivered via text, e-mail, and/or voice call. Register for alerts at tinyurl.com/coderedsopines
- Make an emergency kit for your car – jumper cables, sand or cat litter, flashlight, warm clothes, gloves, boots, blankets, windshield scraper, bottled water, and phone charger.
- Inflate car tires to proper pressure.
- Prepare safe alternate sources of heat in the event of a power outage. Locate properly rated extension cords and a dry area outdoors for a portable generator; fill with fuel while off and cold. Ensure that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working correctly.
- Prepare emergency food and water supplies, including items that can be eaten without preparation in an oven, microwave, or other electric appliance. Locate a non-electric can opener.
- Locate flashlights, candles, matches, and lighters and place these items where they can easily be found in the dark.
- Bring pets indoors. For animals that must remain outdoors, ensure food is not covered in snow/ice and they have access to water that is not frozen.
- If you come across traffic lights without power, treat these as four-way stops when approaching, by coming to a complete stop and proceeding with caution when it is your turn. Driving through an intersection without stopping during a signal outage is dangerous and against the law.
- Based on past history with snow and ice, we anticipate the following roads will be treacherous and Town staff will close them, as needed. Plan detours to avoid these areas:
- NC 22/Central Drive near Midland Road
- NC 22/Central Drive near Reservoir Park
- E. Connecticut Ave.
- E. Indiana Ave.
The Town will release further updates and resources, as needed. Stay safe and warm, Southern Pines!