Little Clips for Little Readers
Little Clips for Little Readers are short videos featuring fun rhymes, songs, and literacy tips for children aged birth to five and their parents and caregivers. Look for these videos posted weekly on the SPPL’s Facebook and monthly on the SPPL’s YouTube Channel.
STEAM Grab-and Go-Bags
Kids grades kindergarten to 5th Grade are invited to pick up a STEAM Grab-and-Go-Bag at the Library starting on July 1st. These bags will feature all the materials and instructions for activities based on science, technology, engineer, art, and math. Available on a first come, first serve bases.
Story Walk is an innovative and interactive way for kids to enjoy a story and the outdoors at the same time. Laminated pages from a children’s picture book are located on special display posts located around the library. Featured books change seasonally. Stop in the library before your walk to pick up a special toy to enjoy during your walk (while supplies last).
Kids’ Book Club Kits
Book club kits featuring picture books for kids are available for borrowing. Each kits contains 6 copies of the book and a discussion guide. Kits check out for a 6 week period with no renewals to one SPPL library card member.
Running out of things to read? Let the SPPL librarians help you discover something new! Fill out the Next Reads online form describing some of your favorite (and least favorite) books. The librarians will select your custom list of 5 recommended titles to read based off you form responses. You will receive your list via email within 3 to 5 days.
Every Child Ready to Read at Your Library
Every Child Ready to Read is curriculum designed to give parents and caregivers tools they can use to help their children learn important pre-reading skills that will make it easier for them when they start school. All birth through age 5 programming provided by Library staff uses the Every Child Read to Read curriculum.
Discover books, online library resources, and websites tailored to a specific topic of subject area.
Online Library Resources
Use your library card and PIN to access subscription content at home or on the go. Below lists the best online library resources for kids.
- Audio Book CloudAn online audio book library collection for public libraries.
- Britannica LibraryAge appropriate reference materials for three unique groups - children, young adults, and older patrons.
- Gale Literary SourcesCombines Literature Resource Center with Gale Virtual Reference Library in one interface. Articles, critical essays, work and topic overviews, full-text works, and biographies covering authors, their works, and literary movements.
- History Study CenterA collection of primary and secondary sources on global history from ancient times to the present day.
- Kids - North Carolina Digital Library Best BetThe Kids Collection includes eBooks, audiobooks, and videos available for streaming or download to most devices. Users will need their library card number and PIN number to access this collection. Call or visit the library for help and more information.
- NC Kids Digital LibraryThe North Carolina Public Library Directors Association (NCPLDA) together with OverDrive and the state of North Carolina have created a digital resource sharing service. Over 3,700 eBooks, Audiobooks, Videos, and Read-Alongs are now available for kids’ pre-K through 4th grade on NC Kids Digital Library.
- Tumble Book LibraryKid book collection with animation, sound, music, and narration in different formats: story books, online audio books, interactive games, puzzles, and quizzes.