Wed Apr. 1 - Thu Apr. 30*Virtual* 12th annual Peeps© Diorama Contest The 12th annual Peeps© Diorama Contest will run from Apr. 1 until April 30. The contest, sponsored b...Read On
Thu Apr. 2CANCELED Toddler Tunes Toddler Tunes: Music and Motion (for children ages 18 months to 36 months) will be held Thurs., Apr....Read On
Mon Apr. 6CANCELLED Baby Rhymes Baby Rhymes: Read to Your Bunny (for children ages birth to 24 months) will be held Apr. 6, 13, 20 &...Read On
Ages Birth to 5
Baby Rhymes (Mondays 10:30 a.m. @ FS 82 / Tuesdays 10:30 & 11 a.m.)
For ages birth to 24 months. These sessions help parents and caregivers engage babies in early literacy brain-building activities with songs, stories, rhymes, and finger-plays. Space is limited. View the schedule for upcoming events.
Toddler Tunes (Thursdays 10:30 & 11 a.m.)
For ages 18 to 36 months. This program incorporates stories and songs along with dancing, playing, and games to foster language and motor skill development. Space is limited. View the schedule for upcoming events.
Preschool Stories (Wednesdays 10:30 a.m.)
For ages 3 to 5. Children and their caregivers enjoy books, songs, rhymes, and activities while building language and socialization skills to prepare for Kindergarten. Space is limited. View the schedule for upcoming events.
Kindergarten to Fifth Grade (K-5)
Family Tales (Third Sunday 3 p.m. @ FS 82)
For ages 3 to 3rd Grade. One Sunday a month the library hosts Family Tales. The entire family enjoys stories and activities fostering a love of books and reading as well as social-emotional development skills. View the schedule for upcoming events.
STEAM Saturdays (Second Saturday 11 a.m.)
Kids have the chance to explore different areas of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) with fun interactive crafts and experiments. Craft tables are available all day. View the schedule for upcoming events.
Craft Days (Last Saturday)
Craft activities are available all day to families in order to promote quality time with each other at Library. View the schedule for upcoming events.
Bookworms Book Club (Monthly)
Elementary school kids are encouraged to join our the Bookworms Book Club. Stop by the display in the Children’s area to pick up the book of the month and activity packets. No meetings in-person required.
Story Walk is an innovative and interactive way for kids to enjoy a story and the outdoors at the same time. Laminated pages from a children’s picture book are located on special display posts located around the library. Featured books change seasonally. Stop in the library before your walk to pick up a special toy to enjoy during your walk (while supplies last).
Early Learning Outreach
In addition to in-house library story time programming, staff visit preschools and childcare centers in Southern Pines on a monthly basis using the Every Child Read to Read curriculum.
Kids’ Book Club Kits
Book club kits featuring picture books for kids are available for borrowing. Each kits contains 6 copies of the book and a discussion guide. Kits check out for a 6 week period with no renewals to one SPPL library card member.
Library staff offer age-appropriate tours of the library to children, caregivers, and schools.
Every Child Ready to Read at Your Library
Every Child Ready to Read is curriculum designed to give parents and caregivers tools they can use to help their children learn important pre-reading skills that will make it easier for them when they start school. All birth through age 5 programming provided by Library staff uses the Every Child Read to Read curriculum.
Discover books, online library resources, and websites tailored to a specific topic of subject area.
Online Library Resources
Use your library card and PIN to access subscription content at home or on the go. Below lists the best online library resources for kids.
- Audio Book CloudAn online audio book library collection for public libraries.
- Britannica LibraryAge appropriate reference materials for three unique groups - children, young adults, and older patrons.
- Gale Literary SourcesCombines Literature Resource Center with Gale Virtual Reference Library in one interface. Articles, critical essays, work and topic overviews, full-text works, and biographies covering authors, their works, and literary movements.
- History Study CenterA collection of primary and secondary sources on global history from ancient times to the present day.
- Kids - North Carolina Digital Library Best BetThe Kids Collection includes eBooks, audiobooks, and videos available for streaming or download to most devices. Users will need their library card number and PIN number to access this collection. Call or visit the library for help and more information.
- NC Kids Digital LibraryThe North Carolina Public Library Directors Association (NCPLDA) together with OverDrive and the state of North Carolina have created a digital resource sharing service. Over 3,700 eBooks, Audiobooks, Videos, and Read-Alongs are now available for kids’ pre-K through 4th grade on NC Kids Digital Library.
- Tumble Book LibraryKid book collection with animation, sound, music, and narration in different formats: story books, online audio books, interactive games, puzzles, and quizzes.