Trash, Recycling & Yard Debris

Glass Recycling Ends

The Town of Southern Pines contracts with GFL to provide:

Curbside garbage collection for homes and small commercial businesses: once a week

Yard waste collection: every two weeks, same day as garbage and recycling collection

Curbside recycling: once a week

Bulky item collection: once a week. Requires an advanced call to 866-423-4122.

Dumpster service for apartments

Garbage Collection 

What type of garbage is collected in Southern Pines?

The Town collects standard, household waste such as solid waste, animal and plant materials from the preparation or consumption of food, and general refuse from day-to-day activities.

All waste must be in a bag that weights 40 pounds or less and is strong enough to contain the contents. All bags are supplied by the customer.

Place bagged waste in the roll-out garbage cart provided by GFL. If you need a replacement cart, please call 866-423-4122.

How do I dispose of other items?

  • Bulk waste and discarded appliances/parts
    • Bulk waste means furniture, mattresses, bedding, plumbing fixtures, ceramics, and other items too large to place in the garbage carts. 
    • Discarded appliances, also called white goods, includes household appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, water heaters, ranges, washers, dryers, and similar, as well as discarded parts from these items.
    • Bulk waste and white goods can be picked up on a separate route, a maximum of one collection per week. Residents must call ahead to schedule this collection at 866-423-4122. This service is not available for commercial locations.
    • The Town collects a maximum of 3 cubic yards per home per week for bulk waste and/or white goods. If you have a larger volume, you will need to haul your items to a Moore County collection site or split your items into multiple pickups.  
    • Bulk waste or white goods may be placed at the curb a maximum of 24 hours before the scheduled collection.
  • The Town does not collect construction or demolition debris. These items can be disposed at one of the Moore County collection sites. If these items are found mixed with household garbage, the entire collection will be rejected.
  • North Carolina state law prohibits the disposal of televisions, computer equipment, and other electronics in the garbage or bulk waste collections. Moore County accepts electronics at their collection sites.

Other Important Information

  • Residents can find out their scheduled pick up day by using the Garbage Schedule Map or by using the interactive map on the town's GIS site.
  • Residents may call 866-423-4122 for collection of bulky items and white goods.
  • GFL will provide 95 gallon roll-out containers for garbage collection. Call 866-423-4122 to obtain your free cart or recycling bin.
  • Cart placement for curbside pickup
  • Residents disabilities may request to have their garbage cart picked up from their home and their recycling bin from the front porch by submitting a Disabled Consideration Request form.
  • If you come across a small dead animal (10 pounds or less) in the roadway, please call 866-423-4122 and this will be picked up with the garbage route. 
  • The two Moore County collection sites closest to Southern Pines are:
    • 5361 U.S. Highway 15-501, Carthage (near Hillcrest Park and the intersection of 15-501/22)
    • 456 Turning Leaf Way, Aberdeen (off Hwy. 5)


What can I recycle curbside in Southern Pines?

  • PLASTIC RECYCLING: Includes all CLEANED plastic bottles and jars #1 to #7: soft drink bottles, milk jugs, detergent bottles, FLATTENED cartons, etc. 
  • METAL RECYCLING: Includes CLEANED aluminum cans, pie and baking pans, tin cans, steel food containers, EMPTY aerosol cans, and lids. Metal beverage cans, baking tins, foil, and food containers are also included in this material category. All items must be CLEAN OF FOOD.
  • CARDBOARD RECYCLING: Includes corrugated cardboard, shipping boxes, cereal and dry food boxes, shoe boxes, tissue boxes, moving boxes, detergent boxes, soda/beer cartons, and paper towel/toilet tissue rolls. All boxes MUST BE FLATTENED for proper disposal.
  • PAPER RECYCLING: Includes newspapers, inserts, labels, magazines, catalogs, paperback books, manila folders, letterhead, notebook paper (no backings), computer paper, envelopes (with windows), coupon books, index cards, calendars, and brown paper bags.

What is NOT ACCEPTED for curbside recycling in Southern Pines?

  • Glass of any type (effective July 1, 2022)
  • Styrofoam
  • Containers that held hazardous materials or chemicals
  • Shredded paper
  • Plastic bags
  • Plastic "clam shell" containers
  • Ceramics or dishes
  • Scrap metal
  • Electronics, including TVs, computers, monitors, and similar

Where do I take other items that are not collected at the curb?

Southern Pines residents and property owners may take items not accepted for curbside collection to one of the Moore County collection sites. For more details on what is accepted as well as locations and hours, please see the Moore County Solid Waste website

Moore County's Glass Recycling Program

Yard Waste

  • Residents can find out their scheduled pick up day by using the Yard Debris Schedule Map or by using the interactive map on the town's GIS site.
  • Due to landfill disposal regulations, piles of yard trash contaminated with plastics, paper, cardboard, etc. cannot be collected.
  • It is the residents' responsibility to see that this debris is properly placed at the curb for collection.
  • No material, such as trees, shrubbery, or underbrush resulting from the clearing of vacant land, will be picked up by the town.
  • Piles of trash on the roadway or too near the travel lane often times create traffic hazards.
  • Please do not place debris on the roadway, gutters or roadside ditches.
  • The Town of Southern Pines provides for the collection of leaves, limbs and yard clippings approximately once every two weeks on the same day as garbage and recycling collection for residential locations only.
  • The town will not be responsible for collecting more than three cubic yards of yard waste from any one location.
  • Trash in gutters or ditches cause storm water catch basins and culverts to stop up which also creates hazards and maintenance problems.
  • Tree limbs must not be more than four feet in length or four inches in diameter, and must be separated from yard rakings.

Holiday Schedule

  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day
  • New Years Day

The Town does not provide any collection services on the above holidays. If your collection day falls on one of these holidays, your trash and recycling collection will be postponed to the following day and any subsequent collection day in the same week will also be postpone one (1) day. 

For example, Thanksgiving Day always falls on Thursday, so Thursday's collection would be on Friday and Friday's collection would be on Saturday. If you have any questions about the holiday schedule contact the Town at 910-692-1983 or our vendor at 866-423-4122.

Trash and recycling collection is operated on a normal schedule for all other holidays.