Start a Business

We're glad you've chosen Southern Pines to establish your business. As you begin this exciting journey, there are a few things you should be familiar with.

State & County Resources

Your first port-of-call when starting a business anywhere in North Carolina should be the State's Department of Commerce and their contractor, the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina (also known as BLNC). These free resources will guide you through the state procedures for establishing your business as well as provide services and other resources for starting and growing a business in North Carolina.

Local Resources

Southern Pines does not have a separate Chamber of Commerce, but many of our businesses choose to join the Moore County Chamber of Commerce, of which the Town itself is also a member. Staff there can help direct you to appropriate local resources for business start-up.

We also have Moore County Partners in Progress, our local economic development organization. They have skilled professionals to assist and guide you, as well as list of resources for starting your business in our county.

You can also find county-specific information on the County of Moore website, which provides all the information you need to know about registering your business name with the county and complying with county ordinances and licensing.

Be sure to contact the Small Business Center at Sandhills Community College for free one-on-one counseling, review of business plans, and referrals to appropriate agencies.

Finally, the Southern Pines Business Association (SPBA) is a private nonprofit that promotes business and often co-sponsors community events and programs with the Town.

All of these organizations offer resources and help for anyone wishing to start a business in our Town.

Town Zoning

Different areas of Southern Pines have different zoning regulations that specify what kind of business (if any) can be established there. You should check with the town Planning Department to find the best location within the town limits or in our extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) for your business.


If you are familiar with the zoning codes, you can also use our ConnectGIS interactive map to explore zoning areas. Just log in following the instructions and use the zoning options in the right-hand menu.


After you have checked the zoning restrictions for your business's proposed location, if you have alcohol sales you must apply for a North Carolina ABC license for the Town to sign off on from a building inspections, fire inspections, and zoning standpoint. Contact the town Billing and Collections Department for information on this process.


The Town no longer requires business licenses but does still require North Carolina ABC Licenses.

Other Ordinances & Procedures

Southern Pines enforces certain ordinances and procedures that, as a business owner, you should be aware of:

  • Businesses must pass inspections by the Town building inspectors and fire inspectors. When you contact us for zoning information we can also help you start this process.
  • You should also register your business with the police by filling out and submitting the Business Contact Information Form to the Southern Pines Police Department. This will allow the police to communicate better with you or your representative on matters that might affect your business.
  • When choosing and installing your signage, please check to make sure that your signs comply with our signage ordinances found in the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).

Again, we want to welcome you to Southern Pines and please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.