The Southern Pines Volunteer Fire Department was organized in February 1898. At that time, the Town of Southern Pines was only ten years old. To aid the new department in fire fighting efforts, the town commissioners procured 200 water buckets. Each volunteer member was required to pay five-cent dues per month in order to retain his membership with the department. There were 38 volunteers when the department originally formed. In the early 1900's, the town installed fire hydrants in the business district to enhance the fire department’s fire fighting capabilities. Other equipment used by the department during the early 1900's included one hand drawn engine, one hook and ladder, and two hose reels.
In 1925, the first new fire truck arrived loaded with a full complement of equipment. Today that truck is still in service with the department as an historical truck, and has since been named “Old Betsy” by department members. During the 1960's, the first paid firefighters came to work in the department to supplement the volunteer staff. In 1977, a new fire station located at 160 Memorial Park Court was built and operated until January of 2002 at which time a new station located at 500 W. Pennsylvania Ave. was built. This new station is where we are currently operating.